Monday, February 13, 2006

Primitive Painters

and I was thinking back to the time when I was nine and you were ten, you had a magic set that turned me into you...
- Felt

So I spent the weekend mostly indoors, painting my bedroom walls blue (which unlike my discussion of a Mona Lisa jigsaw puzzle is not a metaphor). I painted them Ralph Lauren's Shoreline Blue.

I've decided a little bit of home improvement is just the way to get 2006 off to a good start. Elevate my mood a little. So I am attempting to change the atmosphere in my bedroom from Erik Satie's Final Resting Place to something like Brideshead Re-re-re-revisited. Like most of my projects, the abstraction is still in the process of becoming.

The weekends two feet of snow cancelled my plans to go to Brooklyn to see a short film called Finisterre (end of the world in Spanish?) which was originally commissioned for the Saint Etienne record of the same name. So record shopping and Thai food, and said film with chum was replaced by painting of the fourth wall....which sounds deeply metaphysical, but again...is literal.

I don't have a lot to say this week. I think I'm self medicating with Shoreline Blue, and a duvet cover with botanical drawings. I sketched a tattoo with a Latin inscription. If my tax refund comes through...

...I'm getting said tattoo and going down to the Spouter Inn.

I wrote a song about a long boat ride "on the wood they christened Liberty"
It needs a title.
I hope you all get to hear it.

When lacking inspiration why not another round of 'Viewer Mail'?

Regarding You Go Brave

Anonymous said...
Happy New Year, Mr. Grace!You're really brave for spending New Years alone. Interesting entry as always. I love your thoughts on Strong Island, which I think is why I love My Favorite lyrics so much. (Syosset over here.)I find it especially interesting what you and killaferra were discussing. I think I might be considered a "hardcore Zionist", though to me that is really just genuinely loving Israel. I spent Christmas day at my first real Christmas party ever in the Arava desert of Israel with a bunch of fellow Jewish-Americans, Jewish Israelis, Arab Israelis, Palestinians, and Jordanian Christians (hence the party), which made clear to me how beautiful the Middle East can be... A Merry Christmas indeed! Sandy
9:21 PM

Without turning this blog into a political one (though I would secretly love to) let me just say that my thoughts on Israel have really changed over a ten year period. As a 22 year old Marxist I took the party line that Israel was another quasi-racist bully using guns and cash to take what it wanted from those without recourse. However as a 32 year old reading the Torah, the real context of history unfolded, and the emotional and spiritual meaning of the place came to life, and I truly don't think anyone can really question Israel's right and purpose there. However, that doesn't make all of my old Marxist critique inaccurate. There is truth in both. I guess my definition of a hardcore Zionist (not my cleverest or most accurate terminology) is someone who sees and treats the Palestinian people like so much street debris that's needs to be swept off into the gutter (that is when there not doing the crappy jobs Israel needs done.) I believe in an Israel which makes land concessions in the name of peace, to a Palestine, and indeed an Arab world which accepts the Jews timeless right to be there. I believe in dignity, and fraternity for all human beings. Based on the tone of your message, you are way ahead me.

killaferra said...
Dear Mr. Grace,I think there is misunderstanding about me; I am in fact a fourteen year old boy. (maybe its the silly letter format)I saw Au hasard Balthazar a couple weeks ago. I think it was one of the rare films that truly can not be described with words, only to say that it is the most startling film I have seen. In the special features Bresson talks about the future of art and how it [was] evolving, I play a lot of video games and I see them as the new form of art (an example is ICO, http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/SCUS-97113/Site/) . Roger Ebert (who I think is not a very good critic) said that games can not be art because Video games by their nature require player choices, which is the opposite of the strategy of serious film and literature, which requires authorial control.Do you think this is true? George Bush is not a friend of peace, because there is no such thing as peace.Season Greetings,killaferra
8:44 PM

First off...you are bumming me out...with that sign off. There is such a thing as peace. But we may not see it until something resembling the big END. But let's aspire to the best of our nature anyhow. I am so glad, you saw and like 'Au Hasard Balthazar'...it really can't be described well with words. Can video games be art? Well first of all you are being extremely kind by saying that Roger Ebert is not a very good critic. And his comment that the strategy of serious film and literature is 'authorial control' is slightly creepy, and completely wrong. All great works of art create space for an audience to create, to write, to dream concurrent to the text. The author control's what he does, but not what the audience experiences. I read it, then I wrote it again... So video games have as much potential to be art as anything else...though not Grand Theft Auto.

scribe said...
Just stopping by to say hello. I enjoyed this omnibus post. NYE wasn't stunning for me either, but now we have a whole new year to make up for that! There's always better Indian food around the corner too, if all else fails! Heh.
5:57 AM

I had some killer Tikka Masala the next week to make up for it.

killaferra said...
Dear Mr. Grace,I making an online radio station (I guess you could call it a My Favorite fan station) and would like permission to call it Absolute Beginners.Also did you go to William Floyd? Thanks,killaferra
1:18 PM

You have my permission and best wishes, send me the url when it's up. No I did not go to William Floyd, though he came to me!

bADaMBASSADOR said...
just to tell you tIat i didn't know how to start my blog...so i decided to start talking about My Favorite.hopefully i will see you playing here, in italy, sooner or later.cheers

I would love to come to Italy to play with the new band, hopefully that happens someday. Buono fortuno con il bloggo mio amico.

Regarding A Walking Tour Of Your Soul

Louise said...
I want to audition for the new band. It's a shame that Melbourne is too far away...Also, Mondo danceparty sounds a lot like Weekender and Panic that we have here. mmmm..!
9:56 PM


The Mondo Danceparty is a lot of fun, and I've taken to drinking Tiger Beer at Luke & Leroys. If you're in NYC you should come and have one with me. And if you sing like an angel you should just move to NYC and join The Haunted Hearts. You can have my bedroom, I'll sleep in the tub.

terrigoat said...
rude of you to visit my museum without calling. did you visit our mutual ancestral homeland's Antonello da Messina while there as well? i look at it almost everyday. think of you often when i should call you more,clothimus maximus (F.S.)
6:44 PM

Sometimes I feel as though my whole life is a series of people thinking of me often when they should call me more. I enjoy brunch.

thestile said...
not less than three weeks ago, in a boredom and ennui-laced mood, I, too, found myself trekking up to downtown Cleveland to take pictures of the skyscrapers, the Lake, decrepit industrial sites, old bridges, and trendy loft apartment buildings... That's why I loved visting New York, and that's what I like about my own humble part of the world. I even drove the 50 miles (and 60 years into the past) to Youngstown two weeks ago, in the hopes of taking more pictures, but contented myself with just driving around the sad old place, because taking photos of such faded-glory and discarded hopes seemed too much like tawdry exploitation. Sometimes there is a dignified beauty in decay. A friend's band, The Secret Sound of the NSA, once penned the lyrics "Go to sleep Captain Future in your lair of art-deco, you were our pioneer of progress, but tomorrow's been postponed."
thestile

Tomorrow's been postponed indeed. That reminds me of a work by the 70s/80s artist Victor Burgin...Today's The Tomorrow You Were Promised Yesterday. Sorry the text is not so readable, look up the piece if you can. Something you wrote though really struck me. I think its possible that some of the last My Favorite songs were 'photos of faded glory & discarded hopes'. Did I accidentally engage in some tawdry exploitation? Perhaps it's different if they are your own discarded hopes. And either way I agree that there certainly can be (though rarely achieved) a dignified beauty in decay. I tried.

killaferra said...
Dear Mr. Grace,I always connect most with painters of the Middle Ages like Angelico. My favorite museum in the City is probably the Cloisters. I really love those Corinthian columns.Killaferra
5:44 PM

Yes Killaferra...who is a 15 year old boy NOT girl. I don't know why I assumed an intelligent teenager was a girl (probably from personal experience...I was a dope.) It is a thing of odd & complex beauty that you care for people like Angelico whilst your schoolmates are watching Laguna Beach. Keep at it. I, on the other hand, just can't seem to keep my columns straight...so to speak.

Penningtron said...
Ah, Michael, I wish you and your closet glam dance parties were yet closer. I remember the time Lio and Dez invaded Tiswas and played "Electronic Renaissance," when they should have been playing the London Suede. Do you listen much to your latter-day countryman Giorgio Moroder? The pictures add to the nice stream of consciousness vibe you have going, I encourage their continuance.

Will continue taking pictures I promise. Played Moroder's E=MC2 at Mondo a couple times though Millie doesn't think it works. Need to get more Moroder, only have a few tracks on comps and such. Did he do music for Dario Argento?

Regarding Our own Witness

carrick said...
Thought this post was particularly beautiful. We have to take in a museum together sometime soon. And for me it was "boy with the thorn in his side" at 13.

Thank you very kindly. At 13 I was throwing rocks at station wagons while hiding in a ditch. That's both literal and metaphoric. Free for museum walks anytime...

Aron said...
I am so pleased to see you have a blog. Not that I read them too often, but...I saw some of you at Bar Tabac not too long ago resistedited the urge (after 4 Blody Mary's) to flash the devil horns and scream "You guys are My Favorite!". As it should be. Looking forward to the next show. You made me cry at the last one.
12:17 AM

I'm presuming you're aware of the sad fact that there shant be another My Favorite show (that is until our reunion tour in 2028 with Tully Craft). However we will do our best to make you cry with our new band, though currently finding the right singer is making me cry. As far as flashing me devil horns and shouting when you spot me cracking into my creme brulee...why not trace a halo and and come over for some greetings spoken at a civil volume. Better yet, bring over a Dewars & Coke.

cloff said...
gracie signor, next time we discuss "boy with wounded eye" from Egyptiantian collection (actuaIly i think they renamed it "youth with surgical incision" but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it). Hung out with yaccordionist'sst's room mate in the clark gate wing of St. Luke's last week but that is a whole other story.lurk with you soon,cloth

'Boy With Wounded Eye?' why Jack I think you've just written half my next record. You really must invite me out now...you can't hang out with my 'accordianist's roomate' and not me! It's scandalous. Seriously.

OK boys & girls. That's all for now. More soon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1616607&page=1

Anonymous said...

Not really a comment to your recent post, but something I wanted to share with you.

My name is Pedro and I discovered My Fav in 2001 or so while I was living in Boston. I got to see you play live at Bill's Bar and later at the Black Cat in DC. Anyway, I'm originally from Ecuador and most of my same-minded music friends are still there. I made sure they got to know My Fav and one of them who is a DJ on a "popular" radio station plays your music regularly. "Burning Hearts" was on the top 20 list during the Christmas Holiday. Surreal? I thought you would like to know there are people south of the Ecuator enjoying My Fav's legacy...

Still in DC,
Pedro

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your response to my comment.
Taking a break from waiting on tables at night and struggling with French grammar by day to move to NYC to play music/drink beer with you, now that would be excellent. But I insist on taking the tub, to deny you of your own bed would be cruelty!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't finisterre mean "window" in French? A long shot, as I don't know any French, though.

Anonymous said...

...That's fenetre, actually! heh. finisterre - finis = end, terre = world...? In French, terre means ground/earth.

Brian said...

I believe finistre is window, actually, but my French is almost as rusty as my Latin. Personally I was jaw-droppingly disappointed with the new St. Etienne. In my eyes they've scarcely made a wrong turn til now but I'm very disheartened.

I am not the world's authority on Giorgio, but the closest I can think of to a match for Mondo's dancefloor would perhaps be "Life in Tokyo" which he wrote with David Sylvian and Japan. Or maybe just with Mr. Sylvian, either way its ace if a tad slow for today's modern dancer.

j said...

dearest,
the baby needs some lullabies. any suggestions?
xo
jennifer

j said...

oh, and life in tokyo was my favorite song in 10th grade.