I woke up early. Its been happening lately. The Sundays which I used to spend in bed 'till at least noon, are now like all other days. They begin with an anxious eye upon the strip of light which shines between the the window frame and the ill fitting curtain. And then there is the sense that I need to get up, and do something. Though, especially these days, there is a scarcity of pressing matters, in addition to a scarcity of matters pressing. But it doesn't matter. I still wake up looking for something to press. I usually settle for the click of my camera. I think all this has something to do which getting older and what Morrissey described in a more than slightly melodramatic tune as 'the urgency of life.' I have a cold and laryngitis. I take a Fisherman's Friend lozenge, which tastes like a fisherman's hand. It's about 7:30 in the morning, and I listen to one side of a crackly old Irish folk album I picked up at Academy Records in Williamsburg, which may be the best thing about Williamsburg these days. I walk to my car, a slightly world weary blue station wagon, currently looking terrible as it is covered in dirt and road salt from the blizzard last week. I stop by the Korean bakery where the girls giggle at my scraggly sideburns and dark sunglasses on the Sabbath. But they know my morning order by heart and repeat it in one continuous syllable
when I walk through the door "Thai ice tea milk no sugar egg bun and whole wheat bun to go." I'm back in my car by 7:36 but I'm not due at my parents for dinner until 2pm. Its an hour and a half drive out to the midway point of Long Island where my parents live, and where I grew up. I had given myself many hours to wander. Maybe half on purpose. I don't know.Remember a few blogs ago where I talked about an idea for an art project called 'the confrontations'? When I mentioned that, I was specifically thinking about going to places in New York City, haunted places which affected me & my art growing up. I thought about sitting on the sidewalk in front of the Dakota where Lennon was shot. I thought about having a pint at Dorrian's Red Hand, where Robert Chambers and Jennifer Levin met the evening of Jennifer's death...what would eventually be known as 'The Preppy Murder.' But all of those sort of places merely play a tangential role, an aesthetic role in my secret history. They are abstract. But returning to the sound, the docks of Port Jefferson where once I lived for an endless fortnight with a mermaid...that was a real confrontation. And that was where I was driving to, even if I didn't realize it until I was virtually there.

As I pulled into town, I saw that the ferry was in port, picking up and dropping off passengers whose cars would rest inside her steel bones. There were a couple different ferries, but they all traveled back and forth between Bridgeport Connecticut and Port Jefferson New York. This one was called the Park City. I thought about what the mermaid had once said to me, that "reality was mostly just one's perception." An idea which I had accepted and repeated without giving much thought. But seeing the Ferry really kind of brought it home. At first I thought. "Alas me ship has sailed, and I shant be on it."
But as I coughed into the cold wind, with collar turned up, I thought why not "Me ship's come in."
A choice of perceptions. A theory of relativity. How we save our lives. But in the infinite thinness where the light hits the water...between the devil and the deep blue sea...could anything ever be real enough again?
In essence the Park City belongs neither here nor there. New York nor Connecticut. Perdition nor Providence, nostalgia nor amnesia. The past nor the future. It belongs o
nly to the ocean. The rest is, as they say...perception. You will forgive me for feeling a bit like that craft that morning. Bound for ceaseless travels between points which offer no quarter. Waving at the mermaids and princesses, troubadours and blacksmiths which trade places with me upon those docks. In this we are all sailors. And places are not haunted by people, but rather possibilities. In my case, that the little apartment above the tackle shop could have been home.But home is where you hang your hat (Not where you hang your head...whose song is that Tom Waits?) and these days I'm hanging my very suspicious looking Holden Caulfield Hunters cap in Apartment 3F in Long Island City. Not far from the water, with Manhattan's skyline over my shoulder. Perhaps that's where my ship will come in. Or perhaps we will all meet up, either here or in Kingdom Come, when we learn to walk on water.

There was a lot of traffic getting home.
Till next dawn we tread,
Michael 'Mickey' Grace
4 comments:
Holy smokes Michael, this entry seriously prompts me to want to ask when you'll be writing a book made up of some of these luminous gems. You are the kind of writer I both love and envy; the one who makes me think "I wish had written that."
Your journey sounds like it needed to be a solitary one this time, but next time you're heading out here, let me know. Oddly enough, I was in Port Jeff myself yesterday.
Till we meet again, keep watching for all the strange angels.
And places are not haunted by people, but rather possibilities.
Places are haunted by endless possibilities and watched over by ghosts of past possibilities.
Home is where we all hang our Holden Caulfield hats, so I say you're set as far as home goes. Keep waiting for your ship with a book and a thermos of tea and the ghosts will care for you.
Hello Michael, to start with, your blog is my second to most beloved one. Most beloved one is a swedish female author in her 60´s living in FinistĂ©re, France, mostly writing about the moles in her garden. But really, I do love yours almost as much.
Why I´m writing is because I´m arranging a swedish pop festival, taking place the 29th of April and we´re sitting and dreaming of how we´re going to celebrate spring as well as possible (spring is well-longed for in a country as sweden) and one thing that would make the birds and the kids sing of happieness would be if we could take you here to play with your new project, I know that it isn´t quite official and done yet but it couldn´t make any harm to ask, are you interested to come over and celebrate with us? Please answer as quick as possible to my email.
Best wishes/ Kristina HultegÄrd, The Bumblebee culture society.
And yes, the festivalsite: www.popadelica.se
Please come and join us and share you lovely photographs
Wishes and such,
Kittyboots
http://kittyboots.buzznet.com/user/profile/
Post a Comment