Monday, March 12, 2007

Back On The Chain Gang

A quick thank you to all the New Yorkers (and at least one girl from Philadelphia) who came out for our debut show at The Cake Shop. It was a great evening, and more than a little emotional to be back in the sweaty glittering subterranea of indiedom with the kids who pop! with purpose. I know quite a few people got turned away at the door when the show sold out, so for you...and those geographically out of earshot...here are a couple of clips from the gig. A tad beneathe Pennebaker in terms of quality, but they capture a bit of what we are up to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz6Y36QxSEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DyQmPesmaY

Hope to announce some future performances soon, but until then we will be preparing for recording sessions and really putting the finishing touches on these songs. We are still looking for special guest performers/collaborators in New York, namely string players, and a female mezzo-soprano singer to help with harmonies (described by someone after the show as The Shangri-las meets The Velvet Underground) and various extra vocal duties. So drop a line if you fit the bill, and being part of a sprawling mope-rock opera tickles your fancy.
The fun also continues at the fantastic bi-weekly friday night indie party Mondo! www.mondo-nyc.com , where I'm likely to spin a set if the Red Stripe supplies enough dutch courage (what?!?)
Thanks again Gotham! Hope to see the rest of you in 2007...

Truly,
Michael Grace
Composer of Discrete Tragedies.
THE SECRET HISTORY

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing...my heart fluttered a bit.

Michael, you are going to be singing a few, no?

nils-mart said...

Good golly that is awesome to see and hear. Family love Michael! I also noticed a rogue clip of How I Saved My Life; that's quite a lovely take of a wonderful song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVeKEohdVL8

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Grace,

While I’ve been lurking at this blog ever since you started it, embarrassment at doing something as silly as “writing to a pop star” always kept me from commenting, but I watched “Au Hasard Balthazar” the other night (and it was, indeed, almost unbearably lovely), which I might never even have heard of had it not been for your post about it, and wanted to thank you. And also to mention how pleased I am to hear that the Secret History finally have songs near-ready for public consumption; My Favorite always occupied a special place in my heart, in part because of their “immaculate obscurity”- I’ve never met anyone else who had even heard of them, and was never able to persuade any of my friends to love them as much as I did- and I was tremendously saddened to hear of their demise. The new songs certainly sound promising (though I second the motion that you should sing a few yourself), and if they can live up to the comparison of “Shangri Las meet the Velvet Underground”, they’d be pretty hard to beat! I’d be more than delighted to offer my meager violin-playing services, if I didn’t happen to live a couple of thousands of miles away at the moment, but instead I can only wish you the best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Michael, I'm glad to see you back in the musical saddle. I became a My Favorite fan when I discovered "Homeless Club Kids" on a CMJ compilation. I was lucky enough to see you during your last tour at Hear Music in Berkeley, and later that night in Oakland. And just last week, both the full-length and all the "Joan Of Arc" songs accompanied me on another late-night sojourn from Los Angeles to Berkeley. So believe me when I say I'm looking forward to hearing The Secret History... especially now that I've gotten a taste through these YouTube clips. Keep playing, keep singing, and keep on keeping on. Don

Janice said...

I'm glad to see you back in music! Keep us posted

Anonymous said...

Looking forward towards a slipstream of epic music that will shake the foundations of reality in cosmic proportions. Welcome back Michael look forward to seeing you and the gang on stage again! truly konstantine