Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Ciao Ragazzi!

God's footballer turns on a sixpence and brings the great crowd to their feet in praise of him. God's footballer quotes from the gospels while knocking on doors in Black Country back streets. - Billy Bragg 'God's Footballer'

Today, God's Footballer was my descendants' countryman, Sicilian defenseman Grosso! Italy prevails over the hometeam Germany 2-nill in overtime! Bloody lovely, as my pal Chris says (except when watching Rooney stomp on a bloke's groin, and then his beloved England lose in penalty kicks last week.) I, and my bandmates have been watching World Cups since 1994, in fact our first ever photo shoot featured us (barely out of our teens) in Manchester United soccer jerseys. Anyway...I'm getting overexcited because...

Tomorrow I leave for two weeks abroad with my family, traveling around Sicily. Which means I'll be watching the World Cup finals with my brother and many many drunken Italians (even better, Sicilians!) I'm am completely excited.

This trip is a long time coming. My mom had some serious health concerns last year, and is doing great now...and well its time to do some memorable stuff together. Plus, I could use a break from New York. It seems no matter how hard I try...drama and heartache nip at my heels, and in addition, the new project has had it's rough spots. But there have also been some really lovely days and people. Its the usual mix, resembling the back and forth slog across the midfield in a nil-nil tie through regulation. Here's hoping I find the golden goal too.

A sprawling photo-essay of Sicily when I return. Until then...celebrate liberty, creativity...purpose.

---M----

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying the world cup as well. It's quite enjoyable to watch on the Spanish channels, which are usually the only ones airing the games, because the commentary can be quite distracting when in a language I mostly understand. Anyway, enjoy your travels!
-Oddy

Anonymous said...

Greetings Michael, you lucky bastard , Sicily no less! I hope you and yours enjoy that fine island and the World Cup! As you well know Italy is the World Champion and deservedly so considering the awful behavior of the French team captain. In 2004 it was Greece in the Euro Cup championship and since they did not even qualify this year I am glad that our neighbors took it all the way. Forca Italia, Viva Sicilia!! The streets of Astoria were going crazy. Green ,White and Red flags fluttering out of tiny italian FIATS , proud ITALIANS screaming out of apartment building rooftops. It was a sight to see. But I am sure you got the real force of it in glittering Mediteranean highlights.I hope you got a chance to check out the ruins of Agrigento. I hope you sampled the home made wine and the wonderful food, breathed the warm summer air perfumed with jasmine and basil of earthy sunlight. Sicily is to me another Greece and I envy you. As always I wish you the best and hope to hear some of your new music , delays not withstanding. I look forward to your new entries from Sicily , your friend sincerely Konstantine

Anonymous said...

Oooo, very excited to hear about your trip, since I'm way too broke to do any travelling. Also curious to see what it was like travelling with your family, since I think that would be a nightmare for me.

Are you affected by these power outtages? Crappy as my apartment is, I'm very glad I chose the South Slope over Astoria at present.

Janice said...

well done!! smashing post. Italy does have that energy to it. i was there recently in the Spring... but not in the Southern part.