So Spring has sprung in New York, though it was actually warmer in January. That's alright I suppose. I gauge my anticipation of forthcoming blossoms on the appearance of spring training baseball. First pitchers and catchers show up (now that certainly has potential), and then the rest of the lads report. I read progress reports in the New York City rags. I try to get excited, but I'm sort of aware that the glory days of my Yankees have past. The selfless homegrown teams of the mid and late 90s. Paul O' Neil smashing water coolers, Bernie Williams playing classical guitar in the clubhouse, Andy Pettite with the brim of his cap pulled down low. Then came the mercenaries like Giambi, and Alex Rodriguez. Then rooting for the Yankees became sort of like rooting for Haliburton.
How many of you have stopped reading? NOTE TO SELF- indie kids don't like sports all too much, unless they're playing badmitton with Jens Lekman and the girls from Camera Obscura in some Vindaloo induced series of erotic dreams.

My Favorite never played South by Southwest. My Favorite never gained fans through online sites mostly used for arranging hookups between people with alarming numbers of tattooss. Should I be sad or proud? I'm both. But I kind of wish I had played a show there last week and maybe floated down that Austin river on an inner tube. Anyone old enough to remember that show which was on MTV in the early 90s about slackers in Austin? I used to like that.
I had a little bug this week. Pressed the old hot water bottle to my guts and tried to read Moby Dick and ended up watching American Idol. Still managed to rehearse a few times. It's surreal that this project might actually happen. Fingers crossed.
Faith is such a funny thing. Watching the evening news it becomes so clear, that faith is only beautiful when it is a faith in beautiful things. Some of the things being said or done around the world on behalf of God are so vile, to make one want to go back to believing in nothing. Did we really 'liberate' Afghanistann so they could execute one of their citizens for converting to Christianity? How is this any different than the Taliban? It is really beginning to border on madness. And yet we continue to try to bomb some sense into the world, while wisdom says nothing breeds hate and intolerance like poverty and violence. What exactly do we expect to grow in the Eden of rubble and tears we've left behind? But having said that, many is the man who suffered greatly without letting darkness and hatred enter their heart. And in the end, those boundaries are ours alone to guard, and to breach. That's the sort of man I could believe in...
From Baseball to Global Turmoil, with a little SXSW griping thrown in. This posting is really a piece of work. Ok time to answer viewer mail before I throw my laptop out a window...
regarding Primitive Painters
thestile said...
I was not familiar with Burgin. I liked the photo; there is something about the way that the high-tension wires cut across the middle that seems to enhance the sense of alienation conveyed by the desolate streetscape and by the woman, the dog, and the man, all seemingly oblivious of one another as they go their own way. Is it just me, or does "You stand like Balboa the Conquistadore", not make for a fine lyrical snippet? I don't think that you engaged in tawdry exploitation with My Favorite. As you stated, I think it is very different if they are your own discarded hopes. And if those hopes happen to coincide, even ever-so-slightly, with the discarded hopes of many others; well, then you have achieved something truly beautiful. And I think you did (and will.)
9:10 AM
Yeah it's a great photo, and potential lyric. Everyone in the suburbs conquering their eighth of an acre, while the soul remains a great wilderness. I've been there. Thanks for the support and encouragement also, may our hopes (both discarded and intact) remain in unison from time to time.
agent cooper's pomade said...
For what it's worth:http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1616607&page=1
1:25 PM
Ah testing Joan of Arc's bones. Speaking of faith...
Pedro said...
My name is Pedro and I discovered My Fav in 2001 or so while I was living in Boston. I got to see you play live at Bill's Bar and later at the Black Cat in DC. Anyway, I'm originally from Ecuador and most of my same-minded music friends are still there. I made sure they got to know My Fav and one of them who is a DJ on a "popular" radio station plays your music regularly. "Burning Hearts" was on the top 20 list during the Christmas Holiday. Surreal? I thought you would like to know there are people south of the equator enjoying My Fav's legacy...Still in DC,Pedro 10:40 AM
I remember that Black Cat show, lots of fun. It's awesome that we are getting played in places like Ecuador. I'd take that over SXSW anyday. Thanks for spreading the word. 
Louise said...
I loved reading your response to my comment.Taking a break from waiting on tables at night and struggling with French grammar by day to move to NYC to play music/drink beer with you, now that would be excellent. But I insist on taking the tub, to deny you of your own bed would be cruelty!
8:36 PM
Taking a break from teaching and rehearsing in gloomy New York to wait tables and struggle with French grammar with you, now that would be excellent. But if I come to Australia does that mean I have to sleep hanging upside down? I tried that during a thankfully brief Goth stage in 11th Grade, and it wasn't for me.
nils-m said...
Doesn't finisterre mean "window" in French? A long shot, as I don't know any French, though.
3:00 PM
Louise said...
...That's fenetre, actually! heh. finisterre - finis = end, terre = world...? In French, terre means ground/earth. 9:00 PM
Penningtron said...
I believe finistre is window, actually, but my French is almost as rusty as my Latin. Personally I was jaw-droppingly disappointed with the new St. Etienne. In my eyes they've scarcely made a wrong turn til now but I'm very disheartened. I am not the world's authority on Giorgio, but the closest I can think of to a match for Mondo's dancefloor would perhaps be "Life in Tokyo" which he wrote with David Sylvian and Japan. Or maybe just with Mr. Sylvian, either way its ace if a tad slow for today's modern dancer.
1:21 PM
I'm sensing a possible bit of French wordplay from those Saint Ettiene cats. Maybe spelling 'window' like 'end of earth'.
j said...
dearest,the baby needs some lullabies. any suggestions?xojennifer
11:35 AM
Esmerelda, the cutest indie-pop baby in the world, deserves a few good lullabyes. How about 'Forever Young' by Bobby Dylan, or 'I'm sticking with You' by The Velvet Underground.
Concerning Nautical Miles...
scribe said...
Holy smokes Michael, this entry seriously prompts me to want to ask when you'll be writing a book made up of some of these luminous gems. You are the kind of writer I both love and envy; the one who makes me think "I wish had written that." Your journey sounds like it needed to be a solitary one this time, but next time you're heading out here, let me know. Oddly enough, I was in Port Jeff myself yesterday.Till we meet again, keep watching for all the strange angels.
12:58 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words and support. I actually did write a young adult novel over the last two years, but a literary agent gave me a laundry list of changes/improvements...and I'm too burnt out to finish them. Maybe when I can bring my laptop to a sunny table by a window....
And places are not haunted by people, but rather possibilities.Places are haunted by endless possibilities and watched over by ghosts of past possibilities.Home is where we all hang our Holden Caulfield hats, so I say you're set as far as home goes. Keep waiting for your ship with a book and a thermos of tea and the ghosts will care for you.
1:11 AM
Yeah, many a wise man and woman has told us not to look for home in another person's heart. But we still do, don't we? We still do.
Kristina HultegĂ¥rd said...
Hello Michael, to start with, your blog is my second to most beloved one. Most beloved one is a swedish female author in her 60´s living in Finistre, France, mostly writing about the moles in her garden. But really, I do love yours almost as much.Why I´m writing is because I´m arranging a swedish pop festival, taking place the 29th of April and we´re sitting and dreaming of how we´re going to celebrate spring as well as possible (spring is well-longed for in a country as sweden) and one thing that would make the birds and the kids happinessppieness would be if we could take you here to play with your new project, I know that it isn´t quite official and done yet but it couldn´t make any harm to ask, are you interested to come over and celebrate with us? Please answer as quick as possible to my email.Best wishes/ Kristina Hultegrd, The Bumblebee culture society.And yes, the festivalsite: www.popadelica.se
8:22 AM
Is that writer really living in 'Finistere' France? Because if so, this blog is really quite the mystical circle. Anyway...I'm fine with coming in second to such a charming sounding lady. As far as your festival is concerned, thank you so much for asking! It sounds awesome. But we will not be ready by then...not even close. But next year is something else. No matter what, I will return to Sweden. I promise you that. Comment me your email, and I'll write you so we can chat about it more. And I won't post the comment so you don't have to worry about unwanted penpals. But really is there such a thing?
Anonymous said...
Please come and join us and share you lovely photographs Wishes and such,Kittyboots http://kittyboots.buzznet.com/user/profile/
2:41 PM
Join you at Buzznet? Ummm OK...will I meet pretty girls?
boomer said...
After I found this a couple of months ago, I became a reader. I really appreciate you wanting to keep a connection with us allproject new projct is greatly anticipated. I also can't help but hope that you've kept a strong connection with Darren. Some only compare him to Johnny. The live imprint left from months and months ago, still hasn't been matched. Sometimes it's the music. Sometimes it's the lyrics.It can change at any moment. Stay well.
10:16 PM
I'm smart enough to keep my musical connection with Darren strong. You are right, he is one of the best, most versatile, tuneful guitarists alive...a fact which will only become clearer in the music we are playing now. He's a special one.
j said...
oh, and life in tokyo was my favorite song in 10th grade.
10:14 PM
Much better than 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.' or is it?
Concerning Batchelor's Peas & Carrots
Louise said...
Ohh Jens Lekman. He's fantastic, isn't he? I saw him twice while he was in Melbourne this week and it was great. I'm excited for the new songs/sounds :)
7:24 PM
Hmmm....Jens yes... just as I predicted! Teasing, teasing. I chatted a bit with Jens at the Hulfsfred festival last summer in Sweden. Slightly nice, slightly strange...but heaven knows what people say about me! An amazing voice, and a real good songwriter. As far as our new band...thanks for being excited.
Oddy said...
I enjoy your umbrella. It looks quite regal while casually observing a quiet city street. Or so the street appears.-Oddy
10:22 PM
In New York, any street that's not on fire is considered a quiet street.
"sort of like writing hymns. You write them for a soul, more so than a voice." Really profound. Thanks for the intimate, and honest look into your life.
4:39 PM
You're very welcome. I like that sentence (and sentiment) also, if I do say so myself.
Penningtron said...
I too caught Belle & Sebastian on this tour and found them excellent. I hadn't seen them since their tour in support of Arab Strap and I was expecting a lot, but even those expectations were surpassed. B-sides like Middle Distance Runner and I'd never dreamed of hearing Electronic Renaissance live but there it was. What's the status of the third My Favorite album? Is it to be the first new album for some erstwhile Haunted Hearts? I hope it's to be released. Now that My Favorite is gone, would it be too much to ask for a comp of some kind? I always dug the short sweet synth baubles like 1986 and Detectives of Suburbia, the revent version of Modern Love and their fiercer 7" versions of future love songs for absolute zero. I know it's not quite as beautiful a gesture in this day and age, but what of doing an iTunes-only rarities compilation? Think of the children, Michael. Think of those poor, raritiesless children.
12:38 AM
There was a sizable amount of recording done for the third MF album but Andi did not do many vocals. Many of those songs are being reclaimed by this new project, in addition to many new songs we have written. It's still all a little hazy. As far as the sparse few rarities you mentioned. Doubleagent did want to do a rarities i-tune thing, which I was going to also add a few live Swedish National Radio tracks to. Those 7" versions of Go Kid/And Aba are better....I'll get to work on it.
Pedro Verde said...
this artwork made me think of you.
7:28 PM
Thank you...its quite fab.
sandy said...
I remember really badly wanting to see My Favorite and Belle and Sebastian. I couldn't go. It was sad. My dad always use to say, "You can go see bands on school nights when you're older!" Well, now MF is broken up. What do you say to that dad? I think I'm going to rub that in his face right now...Kidding. It took a while, but I eventually got over missing every single My Favorite show since 2002 on...Anyways, Nokia sold out before I even got a chance to think about buying tickets. It was a shame. Everyone and their mothers is obsessed with America's Next Top Model - don't feel too guilty. :] And I love the umbrella.
7:49 PM
Parents! can't live with em'... can't come into existence without em'. I'm going to post some video from that show on the My Favorite archive site we're working on. You will have your share of memorable shows Ms. Sandy...and you were there in spirit, I believe in seat 406. Me and my duck thank you.
Until next time,
Mgjr
5 comments:
Your comment that indie kids don't like sports all that much makes me wonder if that's a stereotype, or if there's some general truth to that. Anyone care to chime in?
I, for one, consider myself pretty knowledgeable about indie music, and as big a My Favorite fan as they come. But I also have an obsession with fantasy football (having served as commissioner several years--my team was named The Haunted Hearts, which my league mates ridiculed as sounding like "a girl's team" ) and have taken a weekend trip to Lambeau Field to see my beloved Packers play. (Also, am a Nets fan, though I reside in Laker town.)
So, how about it folks? Are indie kids averse to sweaty athletes? If so, why?
Dear Michael,
I'd give you my password to let you do my baseball draft but I'm afraid you'd pick icky Yankees to play for me.
I grew up a Phillies fan and have somewhat switched allegiances to the Mariners (what other team has Hello Kitty toys?). When the Phils played in Seattle last year I have to say it was the most CIVIL sporting event I've ever been to in my life. Everyone in my section was rooting for both teams, it was surreal.
As for indie kids and sports, my baseball friends in WA are not the same people I see at shows, except for our FL commissioner.
At last year's New England Popfest there was quite a crowd trying to watch the playoffs through the window of the sports bar next door between bands. So they exist, although I'm wondering about the football fans commenting here...I can't imagine a stadium of them standing up and singing a pop song for the fun of it after the third quarter.
But being a Yankees fan, that's like... well, you said it...
As for the worries and the global turmoil, perhaps you should have given up television for Lent. It's been three years since my collegemate Rachel Corrie died, and despite being "home" with my parents when it happened, I never felt so away from "home" with my friends when I saw her death on the television news instead of hearing from a neighbor. There is so much out there and so little we can do, but do it anyway. The electric nipple however, is not the same as a friend.
Michael-
You probably don't remember me, but we met a bunch of years ago. My name is Daraka Larimore-Hall, and I used to be in the bands the Young Pioneers (California) and the Adjusters. My girlfriend (at the time) and I came out to Long Island one evening to hang out with you- back in the "Go Kid Go!" era of My Favorite, and I went and see you guys play at Maxwell's with the Softies.
Anyway, I was completely surprised and excited to see you guys still at it and doing well. Your music is fantastic, man, and I'd love to reconnect.
-daraka
larimorehall@yahoo.com
www.hoverbike.blogspot.com
Michael,
Do people still tell you that their first kisses and such are to My Favorite songs? I thought you might like to know I spent a very tearful goodbye holding someone I love singing along with some My Favorite songs she liked. "Half There and Dancing," was obscenely poignant. I hope the hello inverts the goodbye, if it comes. Perhaps I'll be singing backwards.
The World Cup! (are you watching it?)
Post a Comment